By Ray Blehar
Louis Freeh, who failed to perform due diligence in tracing the banknotes in the FIFA investigation, has likely bungled the Sandusky Sex Scandal Investigation.
Disgraced former FBI director, Louis Freeh has done it again. Screwed up another investigation.
Freeh decided it was a better option to concoct a story about a "secret file" that S-VP Gary Schultz had "concealed" in his office than it was to ditch the information so that no one would ever know the details of the first day of the 1998 investigation.
Freeh thought that if he shoved those files far into the Appendices of his report, behind the boring discussions about Sandusky's retirement and those "incriminating" e-mails that showed Joe knew everything (?), no one would care enough to interpret and transcribe the handwriting of Schultz.
Well, Louis Freeh was wrong about that. I looked at those notes and what I found was nothing less than disgusting. No, it wasn't the actions of Sandusky that disgusted me -- it was that our child welfare investigators knew about abuse and then refused to take action.
Another thing you should know about Gary Schultz's hand written notes. They are the closest thing you will get about the truth of the 1998 child abuse investigation of two pre-teen boys. Those notes were "sent up the flagpole" by Detective Ronald Schreffler to his boss Thomas Harmon who sent them to his boss, Gary Schultz.
Detective Schreffler, who I consider to be one of the most forthright persons involved in this scandal, told his boss what the mom and the two kids told him. As you are probably aware, things get filtered when the boss relays them "up the flagpole" so you won't get the whole story, but you'll get what "big boss" needs to know.
The most important thing Tom Harmon sent up to Gary Shultz was:
"Mother concerned something more. Kid took another shower last night & this am."
That fact was a possible sign child sexual abuse indicating inappropriate touching. That information was relayed to John Miller, the caseworker from Centre County CYS, who was originally investigating the case before it was taken over by Jerry Lauro, of the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare. Upon taking over the case, Lauro reviewed the case file of Miller.
I think that fact takes Joe Paterno and Penn State off the hook for the Sandusky Scandal.
The people paid with our tax dollars didn't get only that piece of information, but at least 13 other indicators of child sexual abuse. Upon learning of these facts, as well as knowing of a psychology report that indicated Sandusky to be exhibiting pedophile behaviors, the DPW and CYS requested a second evaluation over the objections of the local assistant district attorney and the police. This evaluation indicated Sandusky was only exhibiting behaviors typical of a football coach. At that point, DPW and CYS essentially stopped the investigation of Sandusky.
The chronology of the first day of the investigation, May 4th, 1998, are laid out below. The red flags indicating possible child abuse are in bold. By my count, it's seven.
· 11 ½ year old son
· Nittany Gardens
· Involved in Second Mile
· Jerry picked up son & [undetermined] to FB locker rooms
· Behavior – at best inappropriate @ worst sexually inappropriate
· Police interview
o May be [undetermined]
o By themselves, wrestled
o Gave him other clothes
o Even though wearing shorts
· Worked out on treadmill, etc
· Jerry – to take shower
· Undressed no? other shower
· 4 in here
· Jerry came up behind & gave him bear hug
· Said he would squeeze his guts out – all
· Keep clothes – socks JVP’s hat
· Took home
· Mother concerned something more
· Kid took another shower last night and this am
· Mother asked how did he give hug
· Had to be genital contact because of size difference but when asked the boy quickly said no
· Friend Brendan, age 10, also at Nittany Gardens – claims same thing went on with him
· Mother also asked Brendan
· Children and Youth has been notified & [unknown] to talk to Brendan tonight
· Mother overeacting – no
· Genuinely concerned
· At min – poor judgment
· Critical issues – contact with genitals
· Assuming same experience with Brendan? – not criminal
The next set of notes are reflect the events of the night of May 4th, 1998. The red flags indicating child abuse are in bold. By my count, it's seven again. I've also noted the comments that would logically be attributed to the CYS caseworker in underlined italics.
· Tom Harmon 5/5
· re: interview with 11 ½ year old last night
· only change – added what happened in shower last night demonstrated on chair how Jerry hugged him
· hands around abdomen & down to thighs
· picked him up and held him at shower head – rinse soap out of ears
· Obsessed with Penn State football
· Concerned about getting Jerry in trouble – getting football tickets
· Kid has been seeing psychologist
· Probably emotional problems but articulate and believable
· Mother to psychologist and said she would call child abuse hotline & will generate an incident number – with Department of Welfare
· Other boy – interviewed last night
· Similar behavior
· Kissed on head
· Hugging from behind in shower
· No allegation beyond that
· Kids drew diagram of shower rooms
· He initially went down to shower 3 yds [unknown] away & Jerry told him to come down
· Local child abuse people Mtg at 0900 today to decide what to do.
· Either way, caseworker felt they would interview Jerry.
· Is this the opening of Pandora’s Box? Other children?
They also knew Sandusky was interacting with a number of children at the time.
Five of those children are now known as Victims 3,4,5,6, and 7.
When discussing the CYS and DPW investigations, Freeh supressed almost all the red flags and otherwise critical information in the text of his report .
There is little doubt that Schultz's "secret file" contains the critical information that shows the state (DPW) and Centre County (CYS) investigators were aware of possible molestations and instead of investigating the case, took steps to stop the investigation.